Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas

This special holiday may seem so far away to even think about, or it may be something that has been on your mind a lot. Christmas has been in my head for a while. When you think of Christmas, what is the first thing you think of? A christmas tree? Presents? Santa claus? Snow? Well, sadly, many of us do.

Have we all forgotten the real purpose for celebrating Christmas? Maybe the first 6 letters might be a clue? Christ! Jesus Christ! The world has been changing the reason for this special celebration. It has been turning this happy, miraculous time into something greedy and silly.

Where did this random, fat, jolly santa dude come from? Who ever thought up the idea about a white-bearded old man visiting every child in their sleep to give them gifts? Or what about Rudolph? A reindeer with a bright red nose that flies? Kids get so caught up about writing to santa, putting out cookies and milk, and making wish lists, that they completely forget about the true meaning of Christmas.

Christmas is a time to give. Give to others as God has given to us. He sent His son to die for us! Now is that awesome or what? I think it'is a great gift! So giving to others isn't bad, but the thing is, people start to focus on receiving gifts more than the gift we have received! On Christmas day, as you open a gift, or play in the snow, keep in mind the true meaning of Christmas.

8 comments:

  1. so true, shelley! this holiday is about CHRIST. hence the name CHRISTmas :)

    blessings!
    anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The true meaning of Christmas is hidden behind so much else . . . but it's a great meaning, once you realize it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2/12/10

    Oh, I'll remember this! :) I still write my letters to Santa. I like thanking him for a good year that's gone by and I like writing my prayers in there. It is special to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2/12/10

    I agree with you totally Shelley!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have I told you lately...how much I love coming here...and reading your wise words....and seeing your beautiful heart!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5/12/10

    My life as been really busy lately as you would know because I rarely get on my email! Never the less I always make sure I have some time in the day to just stop and think, in silence. Recently some of the kids from my high school went to the christian middle school and taught them the "pencil lesson". It was on how God make us each unique, with all the tools we to be the person he wants us to be. Giving us the choice to be that person. Just like a pencil we are all unique on the outside but on the inside, where it matters, we are the same we all have a heart.

    Hope you have a Merry Christmas filled with laughter love and Christ.

    Abby Lidster

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree so so much! I wanted to blog about this but couldn't think of the right words; you are so good at putting thoughts into words.
    Christmas is about Jesus, not presents, cakes or Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that's so true, Shelley!

    Love your blog, I'm a follower! :)

    Blessings,
    ~Lulu~

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments! Thanks for commenting on my blog! I really appreciate them! Please keep them positive! ☺

~Shelley